DIY: Pita Bread

This post was originally published on May 4, 2007

On these beautiful spring days, it’s tough deciding how to spend the mornings: head outside and weed among the daffodils or throw on an apron and get floury in the kitchen? Here’s a quick bread recipe that lets you do both–Pita! With a relatively rapid rising time (30 minutes) you can have the satisfaction of having your hands in both dough and dirt in the same morning.
Just be sure to use that nail brush in between!

Pita bread is something my family has been making for as long as I can remember. They are so fun to make and puff up nicely, leaving a hollow center to fill with grilled chicken, veggies or whatever you desire. They are pretty amazing just warm from the oven with a drizzle of olive oil.

Here’s my favorite hummus recipe, in case you need an accompaniment for your pitas!

Wimbush Family Pita Bread
1 tablespoon yeast
1 ¼ cup warm water

1 teaspoon salt
3- 3 ½ cups flour
Dissolve yeast in water for about 5 minutes in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add salt and 1 ½ cups flour and with the dough hook, beat to make a batter. Add additional flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed. Knead 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if it is too sticky. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into six pieces for large pitas or ten for smaller. I make all sorts of sizes to suit different snacks and meals. Form dough into balls, then flatten with a rolling pin into ¼ inch thick discs. Try and keep an even thickness as this is what helps them ‘puff’. Let rest on the floured surface 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed.
Preheat oven to 425F.
With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a b
aking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until light golden. Stick around for the first five minutes of baking when the pitas perform their magic and puff up from flat pancakes to proud, four inch high pitas. These store for up to two days well wrapped or frozen for three weeks.

About Aimee

Cooking has always been Aimée's preferred recreational activity, creative outlet, and source of relaxation. After nearly ten years in the professional cooking industry, she went from restaurant to RSS by trading her tongs and clogs for cookie cutters and a laptop, serving as editor here at Simple Bites. Her first book, Brown Eggs and Jam Jars - Family Recipes from the Kitchen of Simple Bites, was published in February 2015.

Like reading this post?
Get more delivered to your email inbox.

Comments

1. I made these tonight for the first time. Half puffed and half were flat (I figured I could use the flat ones for hummus). All and all pretty good for a first timer. My husband and kids loved them. I used a mix of whole grain and white wheat flours….

2. Hi, I made these today, they fluffed up nicely but were very hard. From your previous comments I see that I may have over baked them. How do I find when it is the right time to take them out of the oven?

3. I did not have a dough hook,so I had to knead it by hand and used dry active yeast. They didn't puff in the oven ? The taste was wonderful though I added some Garlic powder and parsley to the dry ingredients maybe this was the cause? The dough was rolled out evenly

4. Anonymous says

I made these last night and I was thrilled to see that they puffed, but when we went to eat them they can out like pita bread on one side and pita chips very crisp and cracking apart on the other side. Am I supposed to flip during cooking? Also when you say kneed for 8 minutes do you mean in the kitchen aid with the bread hook? Is it really 8 min or just till it comes together and is workable. They were tasty just diffucult to use as a sandwich due to the cracking.

5. your pitas look wonderful! I never tried just baking them, I always made mine on a very hot griddle in the oven. (often over cooking a few) I'm going to give this method a try!

do you think a tortilla press would work to get an even thickness in the pita?
    of course you'd have to be careful not to press them too thin.

6. Is it possible to make it Gluten Free ? Using rice flour or patato starch?
    Thanks to let me know

7. Hello! I just wanted to let you know that I featured a link to this page on my Weekend Picks this week. Can't wait to try this recipe for myself! I love pita bread and think I would much prefer my own over store-bought. Have a blessed week ahead!
    ~Rebecca http://rebeccashearthandhome-proverbs31heart.blogspot.com/2012/06/weekend-picks-61512.html

8. I made these today and the first 4 turned out very crunchy on the top side.. but the 2nd 4 i took out 4-5 minutes earlier and they were quite a bit better.. i also worked my dough a lot, so i'll try not working it as much next time (i did a full 8 minutes after the flour was in and mixed well).. and i didn't flip them upside down when i put them on the pan.. so i guess i'll try all of those.. but they taste good 🙂 and i even got my husband to watch the 'puff' with me-haha..

9. Janna Long says

I made these with whole wheat flour and only a few decided not to rise. With those few ee had flatbread pizza! Very good! Thanks!

10. Janna Long says

11. rosemary says

Help – new to working with yeast. Divided into 6 rounds and they did not rise – came out like little breads. Very tasty but not pita!

12. Ugh… mine didn't puff. Is there such thing as letting them rest/puff up too long? I'll try again. This batch will just make a bread base for an open-face gyro.

13. bread looks really soft and yummy and not so difficult to make…another recipe to add to my baking list. Thanks

14. My pitas didn't puff up very much. I haven't cut into them yet, but i don't know what i did wrong. I rolled them out and let them sit. Maybe i made them too big. Any suggestions? I would love to try them again. I make my own everything, but i just can't seem to get pitas down?!?!?!

15. Anonymous says

I made these, and to be honest, I was a little surprised to see them puff up. 🙂 But they did, at least 3 inches. Not all puffed the first time, and some burnt and/or were too hard. I made them again, adding some whole wheat flour, and even with doubling the batch and baking them in shifts they all puffed beautifully. I only cooked them 5-6 minutes this time instead of 10-15, and they are much better. I guess it depends on the oven and pan.

16. Anonymous says

I.ve made these twice and they didn't puff either time. What am I doing wrong? Husband thought they made good rolls though.

17. Anonymous says

If I don't have a mixer can I still try these by hand?

18. Thank you so much for this. I've used your recipe for my blog, with instructions for a Thermomix.

Thanks so much!!!

frillypants x

19. I just made these and I'm eating one as I type. Ohhhhh so yummy! My hubby will be very pleased when he sees these tonight.

20. Want to give this a try, but for the yeast, do you use quick rising, the one for bread machines, or regular, or doesn't it matter? Thanks!

21. I bake with yeast all the time, but I've never tried to make pitas. This looks super quick and easy, definitely a must try this weekend!

22. I made these last night and they turned out to be really yummy but were more like huge rolls… I think I made them too thick. We just hollowed them out and my husband and I really enjoyed them. Thanks for the recipe!

23. I know this is an "old" blog entry but I wanted to tell you that I made these, tonight. They could not have been easier and they taste amazing! Thank you so much!!!

ps. I, too, had a problem with the batch that went in the oven second. They didn't rise. Next time I will just make them bigger so they can all go in at the same time.

24. Hallo,
    Very interesting recipe
    But I don`t know how big is 3- 3 ½ cups flour and 1 ¼ cup warm water.
    How big is 1 cup

25. They are sooooo good!!! And so easy… Thank you so much for this 'DIY'… Perfect!!!!

26. fI am watching mine puff up in the oven right now. I have made pita bread many times before and it never puffed very well, but these are doing awesome! i am so excited to have found a that works!

27. I made them the other night (& blogged them). So good!

28. Just found this on Pinterest and it looks fantastic! Trying your recipe tonight. Thanks!

29. I used to make pita bread with my mom when I was little but I haven't done it in years. I am so glad you shared this recipe. It looks so good and easy.

30. I am doing this recipe right now, I hope they turn out as fantastic as the picture looks ! 😀

31. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It came out picture perfect and was very very easy to make. I had them done in just over an hour. I did make 2 small changes 1. added 1 tsp of suagr to the water to give my yeast something to eat 2. did half whole wheat and half AP flour and they came out great! I did everything in my Kitchen Aid mixer. Thank you again for sharing and making this so easy.

32. Love Pita breads. I fill them with many favuorite yummys.
    Shall give this a try. Thank you.

33. Mine came out super hard!! I didnt even left them mote than 15 min in the oven, you can still eat them but … impossible to make a gyro with them 🙁 But they taste reaaaaally good!!! I ended up eating them as simple withe bread with olive oil and oregano.

• Keep an eye on them! Even if your oven is set to 180 or 200C° it may actually be hotter or colder than that. Those 15 minutes may have been too long. See if 5 or 6 minutes is enough like it was for another baker that posted earlier.

34. Hello Aimee! Thank you so uch for your recipe. I just made my pita breads and turned out very good! Thank you so much!

35. How do you store these?

36. Hello! Thanks for the inspiration! I made these this morning and we had pulled BBQ chicken and coleslaw sandwiches for lunch! we all loved them, but I must have cooked them a little to long as they were a little hard on the outside…I will be making these again!!

37. What changes if any need to be made to use instant/ fast acting yeast?

38. Just finished a pita sandwich from this recipe, they were quick & super easy to make (and of course YUMMY)! I definitely plan on making more.
    Next step is to make some into pita chips for hubby's hummus. 🙂

39. Love this recipe! It was perfect. Made some perfect pitas and some pita chips with one batch that baked too long. Can't go wrong. Thank you so much for sharing it!

40. Loved the recipe, the bread was gorgeous but unfortunately not hollow on the inside (we just made them hollow to put the chicken in 😉 )

41. This recipe was so much better than the one I had for pitas! My old recipe I had to turn the oven on 500 degrees! They often didn't rise and the baking trays would get too hot! It was a nightmare. These look great and I'm cant wait to taste them! Thank you.

42. You know how some people have a "math block"? I have a pita block 🙁 I just made these and they puffed and taste lovely but they are bread all the way through, no hollow center 🙁 I've tried a couple of other pita recipes with worse results although I frequently whip up baguettes, na'an, pooris and homemade soft pretzels with no trouble. Help??

43. Mine puffed…but they were like crackers…lol…wonder what I did wrong!

44. Just tried to make these. Didn't work out 🙁 A few small spots tried to puff up without real success. Not sure what happened unless it was because I tried to make with a gluten free flour blend. I used rolling pin rings to get an even thickness and watched the entire time in the oven. Used a timer while mixing/kneading also. Any thoughts?

45. Anonymous says

Just made this and it was a complete success!!! Never buying pita bread again!! It was awesome!! so simple! Can't wait to cut them up into wedges and bake with a little sea salt for pita chips!

46. I just made these and they tasted great! However, they barely puffed up. I thought it was because when I flipped them over onto the pan they might have collapsed? Did they not puff up just because they could have been uneven thickness? thanks-Ravyn

47. I pinned this months ago and wanted to try it. Today was the day! The first time I tried this, they did not puff! They were evenly rolled and 1/4 of an inch thick before I let them set. Determined to make pitas, I tried again. The second time I rolled them to have different thinknesses. I found that you have to make sure that the dough pulls back some when you roll them out (like pizza dough). You also need to roll to about 1/8 of an inch thick. The thinnest one "poofed" the best. Thin, with no holes in the dough is perfect! I also did not cook them the full amount of time because the batch I did turned out too crispy. I made 10 good sized pitas. My girls are so excited!

48. This recipe turned out more like English muffins for me – BUT, that's not a bad thing! This is really delicious, and I can't say that I'm disappointed! Thanks! I can't wait to experiment by using some bread and wheat flour!

49. Anonymous says

they didnt really rise at all before i baked them, which made me a bit concerned, but boy did they puff up in the oven! love the simplicity of this recipe and the outcome couldnt be more spectacular! crisp little pillows with a beautiful tender crumb. thanks a lot!

50. Anonymous says

I tried this recipe and the bread did not puff at all! Is there anything missing from this recipe, such as oil or butter?