Sausage, Bean & Pasta Soup with Spinach
Servings 6 people
- 2 Tablespoons Canola oil or olive oil
- 2 Italian sausages hot or mild - chorizo sausage works too
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry fusilli or other small pasta
- 1 can tomato sauce or diced tomatoes (14 oz can)
- 3 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups fresh spinach loosely packed, or 1 cup chopped kale
- 2 cups cooked white or red kidney beans or a 19 oz can, rinsed and drained
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese for serving
In a large saucepan set over medium heat, heat a drizzle of oil and sauté the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon, until it is browned.
Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
Add the water, pasta, tomato sauce, stock, oregano, and salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the pasta is tender.
Add the spinach and beans and cook the soup for another 3 to 5 minutes.
If it seems too thick, thin it with a little extra stock, tomato juice, or water.
Ladle into bowls and top each serving with grated Parmesan while still hot.
Calories: 415kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 1054mg | Potassium: 974mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1430IU | Vitamin C: 14.3mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 4.3mg