Whole-Wheat Zucchini Bread with Cinnamon & Dark Chocolate Chunks
I'm including plenty of alternative ingredients in parenthesis, because although the original recipe is the very best it can be, I want you to be able to work with what you have on hand.
Servings 1 loaf
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour or all-purpose
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground cinnamon or 1 Tablespoon pre-ground
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup canola oil or peanut
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk or regular milk with a splash of vinegar
- 1 cup organic Turbinado sugar or brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups finely grated zucchini
- 4 oz dark chocolate chunked
Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil a 9x4 inch loaf pan and line with parchment paper. Line a 6-cup muffin tin with papers OR oil a mini loaf pan.
In a bowl, sift together dry ingredients and set aside.
In a large bowl, beat eggs until foamy; beat in yogurt, buttermilk, oil, sugar, and vanilla. Combine well. Stir in grated zucchini and chopped chocolate.
Fold flour mixture into the wet ingredients and stir until combined.
Spoon batter into 6 muffin cups (or mini loaf pan) and pour the rest into the 9x4 loaf pan. Bake for approximately 50 minutes.
Remove from oven and cool 10 minutes in the pan. Loosen the sides and remove from pan. Cool loaf completely before cutting.
Tips to Making the Best Zucchini Bread Ever:
- Use the very best ingredients possible. I cannot emphasize this enough. If you set out to make the best zucchini bread recipe ever, but use rancid flour and stale spices, well, you're not going to get the same result as I did - and it certainly won't be the best ever.
- Use small to medium sized zucchini. If it's longer than your arm, don't bother, it will be tough and dry. If you must use these kinds of massive zucc's, halve them lengthwise first and remove the seeds with a spoon. Discard or compost them and grate the remainder of the zucchini for your baking.
- Don't skimp on the chocolate (but feel free to use chocolate chips).
- Use freshly ground cinnamon.
- Have ingredients at room temperature.
Calories: 3805kcal | Carbohydrates: 546g | Protein: 79g | Fat: 149g | Saturated Fat: 43g | Cholesterol: 363mg | Sodium: 2616mg | Potassium: 3437mg | Fiber: 41g | Sugar: 249g | Vitamin A: 1410IU | Vitamin C: 56.4mg | Calcium: 823mg | Iron: 25.8mg